Keg Washer

Keg washing can be one of the most daunting tasks at a brewery.  Having a nice expensive automatic keg washer can make the task a little less labor intense, but as a starting company who has money for that?  Hence, like most of the equipment at the Tributary Brewing Company the keg washer is home-made.  And so it starts, a couple of nerds and a great idea…

Along with some 3-d software and a concept is born.  Now to add a little bit of carpentry skills, and voila!

A little paint to seal the wood.  This is an industrial urethane based paint.  It is some tough stuff, I learned my lesson about painting indoors with no windows open.  WOOOOWEEEE! I definitely waited for the next warm day to put on the second coat.

Of course the day after the second coat was applied we got hit by a big storm that blew rain up on the front porch.  Luckily the paint did its job!

So this is all fine and dandy, but you know what we need now?  BRAAAAIIINNNNSS!  Of course they need a protective shell

This 16x16x8 enclosure found on eBay will do just lovely.

And thank goodness for greenlee punches.  A small pilot hole is all that is needed, and the greenlee punch does the rest creating a perfect burr free hole.

And from a little inspiration from http://www.theelectricbrewery.com/  (Thanks guys!) It was decided that black was a good color.

Now to the fun part, adding all the fancy bells and whistles.

The two solid state relays used for heating the cleaning tank and as a hot water rinse temperature booster.

mounted into the panel.
And although the control panel is not done yet, here it is mounted on the keg washer.

And a close up
Here is a bit of the innards, although lots more to come.

The Arduino micro-controllers are on the way.  My friend Blake has been working diligently on writing the code while I have been building it up.  So far he has the steps down to control all the different cycles turning off and on the valves for the cleaner, sanitizer, hot rinse, cold rinse, air, co2, and turning off and on the pump.  Next up is the PH and ORP and temperature monitoring.  The system will be set up to monitor and keep solutions in their proper range using peristaltic pumps.  Here are the pumps installed in the control box.

And now lcd screen installed and actually working!  It took me two nights to get it configured with the Arduino controller. I had to do at least a little something to help out with the micro-controller programming!!  Blake can’t have all the glory!

Comments are closed.

Call Us: (828) 586-9678

Copyright © 2014 Innovation Brewing Company. All rights reserved. Scroll To Top

You must be 21 years old to visit this site.

Please verify your age

- -